Our Mission & History
The mission of the Sonoma Valley Historical Society is to provide a forum and a resource for the study and dissemination of Sonoma Valley history for present and future generations by identifying, collecting, preserving, and sharing artifacts.
The Sonoma Valley Historical Society was established in January of 1937 by a group of local citizens to honor pioneer families and to collect, preserve and share the history of the Valley of the Moon. As a non-profit organization, the society has operated continuously ever since then.
In its earliest years, the historical society provided education through exhibits that were placed in various locations including the Sonoma City Hall and the Sonoma Community Center. Since 1979, both permanent and temporary exhibits have been located in the Depot Park Museum.
In addition to Depot Park Museum, Sonoma Valley Historical Society has also leased the Marcy House from the city of Sonoma. Since 2006, this historic residence, located at 205 First Street West, has housed extensive archives and collections and has served as a research center.